Chagas disease (CD) is associated with stroke, which can result in significant long-term disability. Stroke has also been associated with depressive symptoms, which affect functional performance and quality of life (QOL). Few data are available on the effect of chagasic stroke on functional performance and QOL.
This study aimed to investigate the correlation of stroke disability and depressive symptoms with functional performance and QOL in chagasic stroke patients.
In this cross-sectional study, stroke sequelae were assessed using the Modified Rankin Stroke Scale (MRSS), depressive symptoms using the Beck Depression Inventory (BDI), functional performance using the Barthel Index (BI), and QOL using the WHOQOL-BREF.
Twenty-one patients with CD and a previous diagnosis of stroke were included. There was a correlation between the MRSS score and the BI score (r=−0.663, p=0.003), but not the scores of the WHOQOL-BREF subscales. The BDI score was correlated with the WHOQOL-BREF subscale scores (Physical: r=−0.733, p=0.001; Psychological: r=−0.581, p=0.012; Social: r=−0.713, p=0.001; Environmental: r=−0.659, p=0.003). However, the BDI score was not associated with the BI score (r=0.279, p=0.262).
QOL in patients with CD appears to be influenced more by depressive symptoms than by the motor-associated consequences of stroke. Conversely, motor sequelae impair the functionality of the patient more than depressive symptoms.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Chagas Disease: Fact Sheet and Poster. Research and Training in Tropical Diseases [Internet].([cited 2011 Sep 11]. Available from)
- Chagas disease in Spain, the United States and other non-endemic countries.Acta Trop. Jul-Aug 2010; 115: 22-27
- An update on the management of Chagas cardiomyopathy.Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. Aug 2007; 5: 727-743
- Chagas disease predicts 10-year stroke mortality in community-dwelling elderly: The Bambuí cohort study of aging.Stroke. Nov 2010; 41: 2477-2482
- Central nervous system involvement in Chagas disease: a hundred-year-old history.Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. Oct 2009; 103: 973-978
- Chagas disease and stroke.Lancet Neurol. May 2010; 9: 533-542
- Trypanosomiasis, cardiomyopathy and the risk of ischemic stroke.Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther. May 2010; 8: 717-728
- Chagas disease: independent risk factor for stroke.Stroke. Dec 2009; 40: 3691-3694
- Association of Chlamydia pneumoniae serology and ischemic stroke.South Med J. May 2011; 104: 319-321
- Common infections and the risk of stroke.Nat Rev Neurol. Dec 2010; 6: 681-694
- Ageing with Trypanosoma cruzi infection in a community where the transmission has been interrupted: the Bambuí Health and Ageing Study (BHAS).Int J Epidemiol. Aug 2001; 30: 887-893
- Exercise performance and skeletal muscles in patients with advanced Chagas disease.Chest. Apr 2004; 125: 1306-1314
- Factors associated with health-related quality of life for adults with stroke sequelae.Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2011; 69: 371-376
- The Mini-Mental State Examination.Arch Gen Psychiatry. Jul 1983; 40: 812
- Cerebral vascular accidents in patients over the age of 60. II. Prognosis.Scott Med J. 1957; 2: 200-215
- Depression: Causes and Treatment.University of Pennsylvania Press, Philadelphia2006
- Functional evaluation: the Barthel Index.Md State Med J. 1965; 14: 56-61
- Development of the World Health Organization WHOQOL-BREF quality of life assessment.Psychol Med. May 1998; 28: 551-558
- Quality of life and depressive symptoms in Chagas disease patients.Qual Life Res. Feb 2011; 20: 133-138
- Influence of diabetes on health-related quality of life results in patients with acute coronary syndrome treated with coronary angioplasty.Acta Diabetol. Mar 27 2011; 48: 1-9
- Symptoms of depression and quality of life of people living with HIV/AIDS.Rev Lat Am Enfermagem. Jul-Aug 2011; 19: 874-881
- Chagas disease in the Americas: an ecohealth perspective.Cad Saude Publica. 2009; 25: S71-S82
- Manual da versão em português das escalas Beck.Casa do Psicólogo, São Paulo2001
- Prevalence and incidence of diagnosed depression disorders in patients with diabetes: a national population-based cohort study.Gen Hosp Psychiatry. May 2012; 34: 242-248
- Physical ill health, disability, dependence and depression: Results from the 2007 national survey of psychiatric morbidity among adults in England.Disabil Health J. Apr 2012; 5: 102-110
- Depressão e comorbidades clínicas.Rev Psiquiatr Clín. Mar 2005; 32: 149-159
- Depression and health-related quality of life in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Am J Med. Aug 2009; 122: 778.9-778.15
- The health-related quality of life burden of co-morbid cardiovascular disease and major depressive disorder in Australia: findings from a population-based, cross-sectional study.Qual Life Res. Feb 10 2012; 21: 1-8
- Maximal Strength Training Enhances Strength and Functional Performance in Chronic Stroke Survivors.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. May 2012; 91: 1-8
- Validation of the human activity profile in stroke: a comparison of observed, proxy and self-reported scores.Disabil Rehabil. 2007 Oct; 29: 1518-1524
Published online: October 22, 2012
Accepted: September 19, 2012
Received in revised form: September 19, 2012
Received: January 11, 2012
© 2012 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.