We read with great interest the article by Lindsey et al. entitled “Variable results after rituximab in neuromyelitis optica [
].” The authors described the lack of response to rituximab in six of nine patients with neuromyelitis optica (NMO), which differed from the positive outcomes found by previous studies [
- Lindsey J.W.
- Meulmester K.M.
- Brod S.A.
- Nelson F.
- Wolinsky J.S.
Variable results after rituximab in neuromyelitis optica.
J Neurol Sci. 2012; 317: 103-105
- Kim S.H.
- Kim W.
- Li X.F.
- Jung I.J.
- Kim H.J.
Repeated treatment with rituximab based on the assessment of peripheral circulating memory B cells in patients with relapsing neuromyelitis optica over 2 years.
Arch Neurol. 2011; 68: 1412-1420
- Pellkofer H.L.
- Krumbholz M.
- Berthele A.
- Hemmer B.
- Gerdes L.A.
- Havla J.
- et al.
Long-term follow-up of patients with neuromyelitis optica after repeated therapy with rituximab.
Neurology. 2011; 76: 1310-1315
- Bedi G.S.
- Brown A.D.
- Delgado S.R.
- Usmani N.
- Lam B.L.
- Sheremata W.A.
Impact of rituximab on relapse rate and disability in neuromyelitis optica.
Mult Scler. 2011; 17: 1225-1230
- Jacob A.
- Weinshenker B.G.
- Violich I.
- mclinskey N.
- Krupp L.
- Fox R.J.
- et al.
Treatment of neuromyelitis optica with rituximab: retrospective analysis of 25 patients.
Arch Neurol. 2008; 65: 1443-1448
6]. However, we are concerned about whether these patients were true non-responders or whether they were actually treated insufficiently.
- Cree B.A.
- Lamb S.
- Morgan K.
- Chen A.
- Waubant E.
- Genain C.
An open label study of the effects of rituximab in neuromyelitis optica.
Neurology. 2005; 64: 1270-1272
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Variable results after rituximab in neuromyelitis optica.J Neurol Sci. 2012; 317: 103-105
- Repeated treatment with rituximab based on the assessment of peripheral circulating memory B cells in patients with relapsing neuromyelitis optica over 2 years.Arch Neurol. 2011; 68: 1412-1420
- Long-term follow-up of patients with neuromyelitis optica after repeated therapy with rituximab.Neurology. 2011; 76: 1310-1315
- Impact of rituximab on relapse rate and disability in neuromyelitis optica.Mult Scler. 2011; 17: 1225-1230
- Treatment of neuromyelitis optica with rituximab: retrospective analysis of 25 patients.Arch Neurol. 2008; 65: 1443-1448
- An open label study of the effects of rituximab in neuromyelitis optica.Neurology. 2005; 64: 1270-1272
- Expression of human B cell-associated antigens on leukemias and lymphomas: a model of human B cell differentiation.Blood. 1984; 63: 1424-1433
- Variable responses to rituximab treatment in neuromyelitis optica (Devic's disease).Neurol Sci. 2007; 28: 209-211
Published online: May 28, 2012
Accepted: May 3, 2012
Received: April 3, 2012
☆Financial disclosure: Dr. H. J. Kim reports having received a research grant from the Ministry of Health and Welfare and honoraria for speaking and consulting from Bayer Schering Pharma, Merck Serono, Novartis, and Biogen Idec.
© 2012 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.