Fang and Wu argue that the lack of measurement of the initial total cholesterol (TC) levels might be a selection bias, resulting in overestimation of intracerebral hemorrhage (ICH) in patients who started statin before stroke and continued this treatment in the acute phase of ischemic stroke in our study [
]. They reported that prior statin use with TC levels ≤150 mg/dL was associated with hematoma volume and worsening outcome in Miura group's study [
- Cappellari M.
- Deluca C.
- Tinazzi M.
- Tomelleri G.
- Carletti M.
- Fiaschi A.
- Bovi P.
- Moretto G.
Does statin in the acute phase of ischemic stroke improve outcome after intravenous thrombolysis? A retrospective study.
J Neurol Sci. 2011; 308: 128-134
- Miura K.
- Yoshii Y.
- Nakamura Y.
- Ikeda K.
Clinicoradiological profile and serum lipid levels of intracerebral hemorrhage in prior statin users.
Intern Med. 2011; 50: 1385-1391
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Does statin in the acute phase of ischemic stroke improve outcome after intravenous thrombolysis? A retrospective study.J Neurol Sci. 2011; 308: 128-134
- Clinicoradiological profile and serum lipid levels of intracerebral hemorrhage in prior statin users.Intern Med. 2011; 50: 1385-1391
- Cholesterol measured before stroke thrombolysis is not associated with tissue plasminogen activator-related hemorrhagic transformation.Stroke. 2008; 39: e6
- Thrombolysis with alteplase for acute ischaemic stroke in the Safe Implementation of Thrombolysis in Stroke-Monitoring Study (SITS-MOST): an observation study.Lancet. 2007; 369: 275-282
- Lipid profile, statin use, and outcome after intravenous thrombolysis for acute ischemic stroke.J Neurol. 2008; 255: 875-880
- Prior statin use, intracranial hemorrhage and outcome after intra-arterial thrombolysis for acute ischemic stroke.Stroke. 2009; 40: 1729-1737
- The acute (cerebro)vascular effects of statins.Anesth Analg. 2009; 109: 572-584
- Statin treatment withdrawal in ischemic stroke: a controlled randomized study.Neurology. 2007; 69: 904-910
Published online: October 17, 2011
Accepted: September 20, 2011
Received: September 19, 2011
© 2011 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.