Experimental studies have indicated that adipocytokines are associated with vascular diseases with regard to the pathology of atherosclerotic plaque. We hypothesized that the strength of the associations between adipocytokines and stroke would differ between ischemic stroke subtypes.
A total of 96 acute ischemic stroke patients (within 5 days from onset) and 48 non-stroke subjects were analyzed in this study. Stroke patients were comprised of 26 strokes due to large artery atherosclerosis (LAA) and 72 non-LAA strokes. Venous blood from all participants was drawn after an overnight fast, and serum levels of leptin, adiponectin and resistin were measured by multiple sandwich immunoassay techniques.
Compared with non-LAA strokes, patients with LAA strokes had lower levels of serum adiponectin (6.4±3.1 vs. 8.5±3.9 μg/mL; P=0.04), and a higher level of leptin-to-adiponectin ratio (L:A ratio; 1.6±1.4 vs. 0.9±0.9; P<0.01). Multinomial logistic regression analyses showed that, although none of the adipocytokines was associated with non-LAA strokes, lower adiponectin (adjusted OR, 0.79 per 1-μg/mL increase; 95% CI, 0.64–0.98), higher leptin (aOR, 1.12 per 1-ng/mL increase; 95% CI, 1.004–1.25) and higher L:A ratio (aOR, 2.93 per 1-quartile increase; 95% CI, 1.39–6.15) showed significant associations with increased odds of having LAA stroke, compared to non-stroke subjects.
From our study, we documented that leptin and adiponectin had differential association patterns with ischemic stroke according to the stroke subtype. Careful consideration of the heterogeneity of stroke subtypes would be warranted in studying the utility of biomarkers including adipocytokines.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Leptin and atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis. 2006; 189: 47-60
- Leptin and coronary heart disease: prospective study and systematic review.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009; 53: 167-175
- High leptin levels are associated with stroke.Cerebrovasc Dis. 2003; 15: 63-69
- Resistin promotes smooth muscle cell proliferation through activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 and phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase pathways.Circulation. 2004; 110: 3335-3340
- Plasma resistin levels and risk of myocardial infarction and ischemic stroke.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008; 93: 2647-2653
- Adiponectin reduces atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice.Circulation. 2002; 106: 2767-2770
- Association of hypoadiponectinemia with impaired vasoreactivity.Hypertension. 2003; 42: 231-234
- Hypoadiponectinemia is associated with impaired endothelium-dependent vasodilation.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004; 89: 765-769
- Plasma adiponectin levels and risk of myocardial infarction in men.JAMA. 2004; 291: 1730-1737
- Serum adiponectin is a predictor of coronary heart disease: a population-based 10-year follow-up study in elderly men.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007; 92: 571-576
- Circulating serum adiponectin levels in patients with coronary artery disease: relationship to atherosclerotic burden and cardiac function.J Intern Med. 2008; 264: 593-598
- Hypoadiponectinemia is associated with ischemic cerebrovascular disease.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2005; 25: 821-826
- Leptin, but not adiponectin, predicts stroke in males.J Intern Med. 2004; 256: 128-136
- Association of adiponectin with cerebrovascular disease: a nested case–control study.Stroke. 2008; 39: 323-328
- High-molecular-weight adiponectin and incident ischemic stroke in postmenopausal women: a women's health initiative study.Stroke. 2010; 41: 1376-1381
- Adiponectin stimulates production of nitric oxide in vascular endothelial cells.J Biol Chem. 2003; 278: 45021-45026
- The molecular mechanisms of the thrombotic complications of atherosclerosis.J Intern Med. 2008; 263: 517-527
- Analysis of 10,811 cases with acute ischemic stroke from Korean stroke registry: hospital-based multicenter prospective registration study.J Korean Neurol Assoc. 2006; 24: 535-543
- Simultaneous measurement of 25 inflammatory markers and neurotrophins in neonatal dried blood spots by immunoassay with xMAP technology.Clin Chem. 2005; 51: 1854-1866
- Leptin:adiponectin ratio is an independent predictor of intima media thickness of the common carotid artery.Stroke. 2007; 38: 2844-2846
- R: a language and environment for statistical computing.R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria2010
- Low level of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol increases hemorrhagic transformation in large artery atherothrombosis but not in cardioembolism.Stroke. 2009; 40: 1627-1632
- Plaque rupture is a determinant of vascular events in carotid artery atherosclerotic disease: involvement of matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9.J Clin Neurol. 2011; 7: 69-76
- Unraveling the multiple roles of leptin in inflammation and autoimmunity.J Mol Med. 2004; 82: 4-11
- Insulin and leptin acutely regulate cholesterol ester metabolism in macrophages by novel signaling pathways.Diabetes. 2001; 50: 955-961
- Local adiponectin treatment reduces atherosclerotic plaque size in rabbits.J Endocrinol. 2007; 193: 137-145
- Positive association of adiponectin with soluble vascular cell adhesion molecule sVCAM-1 levels in patients with vascular disease or dyslipidemia.Atherosclerosis. 2008; 197: 725-731
- Novel modulator for endothelial adhesion molecules: adipocyte-derived plasma protein adiponectin.Circulation. 1999; 100: 2473-2476
- Adipokine resistin is a key player to modulate monocytes, endothelial cells, and smooth muscle cells, leading to progression of atherosclerosis in rabbit carotid artery.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011; 57: 99-109
- Adiponectin levels in patients with intracranial atherosclerosis.Neurology. 2007; 68: 1931-1937
- Paradoxical longevity in obese patients with intracerebral hemorrhage.Neurology. 2011; 76: 567-573
- Ethnic variation in adiponectin and leptin levels and their association with adiposity and insulin resistance.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 1629-1634
- Plasma leptin concentrations: gender differences and associations with metabolic risk factors for cardiovascular disease.Diabetologia. 1997; 40: 1178-1184
Published online: August 25, 2011
Accepted: August 4, 2011
Received in revised form: August 1, 2011
Received: May 31, 2011
© 2011 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.