The aim of this study was to examine whether CHADS2 score is associated with clinical outcomes following recombinant tissue type plasminogen activator (rt-PA) therapy in stroke patients with atrial fibrillation (AF).
We studied 218 consecutive stroke patients with AF [126 men, mean age 74.2 (SD 9.6) years] who received intravenous rt-PA therapy. CHADS2 score was calculated as follows: 2 points for prior ischemic stroke and 1 point for each of the following: age≥75 years, hypertension, diabetes, and congestive heart failure.
Congestive heart failure was documented in 23 patients, hypertension in 138, age≥75 years in 116, diabetes in 35, and prior stroke in 35. The distribution of each CHADS2 score was: score of 0, 16.1% of patients; 1, 30.3%; 2, 29.4%; and 3 to 5, 24.3%. The median initial NIHSS score for each CHADS2 category was 12 (IQR 8–17), 16 (10–20), 14.5 (10–20.75), and 16 (11–21), respectively (p=0.168). Symptomatic ICH within the initial 36 h was found in 2.9%, 4.6%, 6.3%, and 0% of patients with each CHADS2 category, respectively. Cardiovascular events within 3 months occurred in 0%, 0%, 7.8% and 5.7%, respectively. Percentage of patients with chronic independence at 3 months corresponding to modified Rankin Scale≤2 was 57.1%, 45.5%, 31.3%, and 28.3%, respectively. Adjusted CHADS2 score was inversely associated with chronic independence (OR 0.72, 95% CI 0.55–0.93).
Lower CHADS2 score was associated with chronic independence at 3 months after intravenous rt-PA therapy in stroke patients with AF.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Validation of clinical classification schemes for predicting stroke: results from the National Registry of Atrial Fibrillation.JAMA. 2001; 285: 2864-2870
- Selecting patients with atrial fibrillation for anticoagulation: stroke risk stratification in patients taking aspirin.Circulation. 2004; 110: 2287-2292
- Risks and benefits of oral anticoagulation compared with clopidogrel plus aspirin in patients with atrial fibrillation according to stroke risk: the atrial fibrillation clopidogrel trial with irbesartan for prevention of vascular events (ACTIVE-W).Stroke. 2008; 39: 1482-1486
- Stroke risk in atrial fibrillation patients on warfarin. Predictive ability of risk stratification schemes for primary and secondary prevention.Thromb Haemost. 2009; 101: 367-372
- Major hemorrhage and tolerability of warfarin in the first year of therapy among elderly patients with atrial fibrillation.Circulation. 2007; 115: 2689-2696
- Survival after stroke–the impact of CHADS2 score and atrial fibrillation.Int J Cardiol. 2009; 141: 18-23
- Arterial occlusion sites on magnetic resonance angiography influence the efficacy of intravenous low-dose (0.6 mg/kg) alteplase therapy for ischaemic stroke.Int J Stroke. 2009; 4: 425-431
- Multivariable analysis of outcome predictors and adjustment of main outcome results to baseline data profile in randomized controlled trials: Safe Implementation of Thrombolysis in Stroke-MOnitoring STudy (SITS-MOST).Stroke. 2008; 39: 3316-3322
- Large ischemic lesions on diffusion-weighted imaging done before intravenous tissue plasminogen activator thrombolysis predicts a poor outcome in patients with acute stroke.Stroke. 2008; 39: 2388-2391
- Routine use of intravenous low-dose recombinant tissue plasminogen activator in Japanese patients: general outcomes and prognostic factors from the SAMURAI register.Stroke. 2009; 40: 3591-3595
- Pretreatment ASPECTS on DWI predicts 3-month outcome following rt-PA: SAMURAI rt-PA Registry.Neurology. 2010; 75: 555-561
- Outline of the Japanese Guidelines for the Management of Stroke 2004 and subsequent revision.Int J Stroke. 2008; 3: 55-62
- Tissue plasminogen activator for acute ischemic stroke. The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke rt-PA Stroke Study Group.N Engl J Med. 1995; 333: 1581-1587
- Alteplase at 0.6 mg/kg for acute ischemic stroke within 3 hours of onset: Japan Alteplase Clinical Trial (J-ACT).Stroke. 2006; 37: 1810-1815
- Effects of 0.6 mg/kg intravenous alteplase on vascular and clinical outcomes in middle cerebral artery occlusion: Japan Alteplase Clinical Trial II (J-ACT II).Stroke. 2010; 41: 461-465
- Thrombolysis With 0.6 mg/kg intravenous alteplase for acute ischemic stroke in routine clinical practice: the Japan post-Marketing Alteplase Registration Study (J-MARS).Stroke. 2010; 41: 1984-1989
- Deteriorating ischemic stroke: risk factors and prognosis.Neurology. 1990; 40: 1865-1869
- Effect of blood pressure and diabetes on stroke in progression.Lancet. 1994; 344: 156-159
- Predicting functional outcome and survival after acute ischemic stroke.J Neurol. 2002; 249: 888-895
- Early predictors of death and disability after acute cerebral ischemic event.Stroke. 1995; 26: 392-398
- A predictive risk model for outcomes of ischemic stroke.Stroke. 2000; 31: 448-455
- Stroke incidence, case fatality, and mortality in the WHO MONICA project. World Health Organization Monitoring Trends and Determinants in Cardiovascular Disease.Stroke. 1995; 26: 361-367
- Frequency and predictors of stroke death in 5,888 participants in the Cardiovascular Health Study.Neurology. 2001; 56: 368-375
- Risk factors for early recurrence after ischemic stroke: the role of stroke syndrome and subtype.Stroke. 1998; 29: 2118-2124
- Baseline NIH Stroke Scale score strongly predicts outcome after stroke: A report of the Trial of Org 10172 in Acute Stroke Treatment (TOAST).Neurology. 1999; 53: 126-131
- Blood pressure and clinical outcomes in the International Stroke Trial.Stroke. 2002; 33: 1315-1320
- Risks and causes of death in a community-based stroke population: 1 month and 3 years after stroke.Neuroepidemiology. 1999; 18: 75-84
- Predictors of mortality and recurrence after hospitalized cerebral infarction in an urban community: the Northern Manhattan Stroke Study.Neurology. 1994; 44: 626-634
- Risk factors for chest infection in acute stroke: a prospective cohort study.Stroke. 2007; 38: 2284-2291
- Pneumonia in stroke patients: a retrospective study.Dysphagia. 2000; 15: 51-57
- Thrombolysis with alteplase for acute ischaemic stroke in the Safe Implementation of Thrombolysis in Stroke-Monitoring Study (SITS-MOST): an observational study.Lancet. 2007; 369: 275-282
Published online: April 15, 2011
Accepted: March 30, 2011
Received in revised form: March 29, 2011
Received: December 1, 2010
© 2011 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.