Carotid artery stenting (CAS) has been accepted as a relatively safe and effective treatment modality for patients with symptomatic severe carotid stenosis. We report a rare case of 75-year-old male with spontaneous peritoneal and perirenal hemorrhage following carotid angioplasty with stent. Because this intraabdominal hemorrhage can cause delayed diagnosis and treatment due to vague symptoms and the lack of suspicion of the hemorrhage, and can induce fatal condition, physicians should be aware that the abdominal hemorrhage could occur as a rare but serious complication after CAS without puncture site problems or iatrogenic injury.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- An unusual complication of carotid stenting: spontaneous rectus sheath hematoma and its endovascular management.Diagn Interv Radiol. 2007; 13: 46-48
- Factors affecting the severity of spontaneous retroperitoneal hemorrhage in anticoagulated patients.Am J Surg. 2008; 195: 410-413
- Spontaneous retroperitoneal hemorrhage.Am J Surg. 2005; 189: 345-347
- Spontaneous retroperitoneal hematoma associated with clopidogrel therapy mimicking acute appendicitis.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2006; 62: 248-249
- Risk predictors of retroperitoneal hemorrhage following percutaneous coronary intervention.Am J Cardiol. 2008; 102: 1473-1476
- Life-threatening spontaneous retroperitoneal bleeding: a rare complication of oral anticoagulation.Urol Int. 1999; 63: 247-248
- Bleeding complications in oral anticoagulant treatment.Nord Med. 1995; 110: 114-118
- Management of spontaneous and iatrogenic retroperitoneal hemorrhage: conservative management, endovascular intervention or open surgery ?.Int J Clin Pract. 2008; 62: 1604-1613
- Intraperitoneal and retroperitoneal hemorrhage.Radiol Clin North Am. 1976; 14: 391-405
- Gigantic retroperitoneal hematoma as a complication of anticoagulation therapy with heparin in therapeutic doses: a case report.J Med Case Reports. 2008; 2: 162
- Spontaneous abdominal hematoma in a patient treated with clopidogrel and aspirin.Ann Hematol. 2006; 85: 743-744
- Antiplatelet therapy and spontaneous perirenal hematoma.Int J Urol. 2005; 12: 398-400
- Retroperitoneal hematoma as a serious complication of endovascular coiling.J Korean Neurosurg Soc. 2010; 48: 88-90
- Don't rule out retroperitoneal bleeding just because the angiogram was done from the radial artery.J invasive Cardiol. 2010; 22: E3-E4
Published online: April 18, 2011
Accepted: March 16, 2011
Received in revised form: March 12, 2011
Received: September 30, 2010
© 2011 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.