Since the outbreak of novel influenza A (H1N1) in 2009, various neurological complications have been cited. We described a male patient with H1N1-associated encephalopathy/encephalitis presenting with severe neurological symptoms and signs. Residual neurological sequelae were dominant. This is the first report of extensive cortical–subcortical necroses over the bilateral frontal–parietal areas based on an MRI study.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Reye's syndrome in the United States from 1981 through 1997.N Engl J Med. 1999; 340: 1377-1382
- Acute necrotizing encephalopathy of childhood: a novel form of acute encephalopathy prevalent in Japan and Taiwan.Brain Dev. 1997; 19: 81-92
- Encephalitis and encephalopathy associated with an influenza epidemic in Japan.Clin Infect Dis. 2002; 35: 512-517
- Influenza-associated encephalitis/encephalopathy with a reversible lesion in the splenium of the corpus callosum: a case report and literature review.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2004; 25: 798-802
- Neurologic complications of 2009 influenza A (H1N1). Heightened attention on an ongoing question.Neurology. 2010;
- Neurologic complications associated with novel influenza A (H1N1) virus infection in children — Dallas, Texas, May 2009.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2009; 58: 773-778
- Surveillance of H1N1-related neurological complications.Lancet Neurol. 2010; 9: 142-143
- Novel swine-origin influenza A (H1N1) viral encephalitis.Yonsei Med J. 2010; 51: 291-292
- MR imaging in novel influenza A(H1N1)-associated meningoencephalitis.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2010;
- Acute necrotizing encephalopathy progressing to brain death in a pediatric patient with novel influenza A (H1N1) infection.Clin Infect Dis. 2010;
- Severe encephalopathy with Swine origin influenza a h1n1 infection in childhood: case reports.Neurology. 2010; 74: 1077-1078
- Marburg type and Balo's concentric sclerosis: rare and acute variants of multiple sclerosis.Neurol Sci. 2004; 25: S361-S363
- Influenza-associated encephalopathy in Japan: pathogenesis and treatment.Pediatr Int. 2000; 42: 215-218
- Influenza virus-induced encephalopathy: clinicopathologic study of an autopsied case.Pediatr Int. 2000; 42: 204-214
Published online: September 28, 2010
Accepted: September 8, 2010
Received in revised form: September 4, 2010
Received: July 13, 2010
© 2010 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.