In serum of 114 patients with dementia and of 102 controls the level of IG class immunoglobulins directed against oxidized LDL and lipids were determined. In isolated DNA apolipoprotein E gene (APOE) polymorphism was identified. In some individuals very high levels of the antibodies were observed. exceeding the 90 percentile in the investigated group. The prevalence of very high anti-ox LDL antibodies level was significantly more frequent in the carriers of ε2 allele and less frequent in the carriers of ε4 allele.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Autoantibodies against oxidatively-modified LDL in uremic patients undergoing dialysis.Kidney Int. 1994; 46: 869-876
- Antibodies against oxidized LDL — theory and clinical use.Phyiol Rev. 2001; 50: 131-141
- Inverse relationship between circulating oxidized low density lipoprotein (oxLDL) and anti-oxLDL antibody levels in healthy subjects.Atherosclerosis. 2000; 148: 171-177
- Increased serum titers of autoantibodies against oxidized LDL cholesterol in young healthy adults.Atherosclerosis. 2007; 192: 448-450
- Influence of age and sex on levels of anti-oxidized LDL antibodies and anti-LDL immune complexes in the general population.J Lip Res. 2005; 46: 452-457
- Restriction isotyping of human apolipoprotein E by gene amplification and cleavage with Hha1.J Lip Res. 1990; 1: 545-546
- Apolipoprotein E polymorphism and low density lipoprotein (LDL) oxidation in patients with dementia.Folia Neuropathol. 2003; 41: 65-68
- Continuous monitoring of in vitro oxidation of human low density lipoprotein.Free Radic Res Commun. 1989; 6: 61-75
- Apolipoprotein E allele-specific antioxidant activity and effects on cytotoxicity by oxidative insults and β-amyloid peptides.Nature Genet. 1996; 14: 56-61
- Apolipoprotein E allele-dependent antioxidant activity in brains with Alzheimer's disease.Neurology. 2000; 54: 3192321
- Women have a larger and less atherogenic low density lipoprotein particle size than men.Atheroclerosis. 1996; 118: 181-190
- Association of apolipoprotein E polymorphism with low-density lipoprotein size and subfraction profiles in Arab patients with coronary heart disease.Metabolism. 2007; 6: 484-490
- Variations in oxidative susceptibility among six low density lipoprotein subfractions of differing sensitivity and particle size.Atherosclerosis. 1992; 93: 189-199
- Alterations in lipoprotein defense against oxidative stress in metabolic syndrome.Curr Atheroscl Rep. 2006; 8: 501-509
- Conformational differences in human apolipoprotein B-100 among subspecies of low density lipoproteins (LDL). Association of altered proteolytic accessibility with decreased receptor binding of LDL subspecies from hypertriglyceridemic subjects.J Biol Chem. 1994; 269: 29121-29128
- Apolipoprotein B-100 conformation and particle surface charge in human LDL subspecies: implication for LDL receptor interaction.Biochemistry. 1998; 37: 12874
- Apolipoprotein E genotype is related to plasma levels of C-reactive protein and longevity in nonagenarians.Clin Endocrinol. 2006; 64: 265-270
- The apolipoprotein E polymorphism is associated with circulating C-reactive protein (the Ludwigshafen risk and cardiovascular health study.Eur Heart J. 2004; 25: 2109-2119
Published online: March 23, 2009
© 2009 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.