To investigate whether quantitative EEG may be useful in differential diagnosis of AD and SVD and to determine the correlation between dementia and abnormalities in EEG.
Materials and methods
The group under study was consisted of 62 patients with AD (mean age: 73.6 yrs; M 51%), 31 with SVD (mean age: 75.2 yrs, M 43%) and a control group of 14 healthy subjects (mean age: 69.5 yrs, M 43%). The patients were divided into subgroups of those with mild, moderate and marked dementia. EEG findings were classified using eight-degree scale according to the presence of slow waves, and then quantitative analysis was carried out by calculating the alpha/slow wave power ratios and the mean frequencies in all and some selected derivations.
A significant difference between visual EEGs and QEEGs in AD and SVD was found. Only QEEG parameters differed in AD and SVD subgroups with the same degree of cognitive impairment: the mean wave frequencies of waves in temporal derivations in subgroups with mild and moderate dementia and alpha/delta waves power ratio in subgroups with moderate dementia.
Visual EEGs and QEEGs could be used in addition to the differential diagnosis between AD and SVD, but only selected parameters of QEEG could be useful in differentiating between AD and SVD subgroups with the same degree of dementia.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Severe dementia — prevalence and clinical features in biracial US population.Arch Neurol. 1985; 42: 740-743
- The prevalence of dementia: a quantitative integration of the literature.Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1987; 76: 465-479
- Uber die Bejiehungen des senilen Hirnatrophie zur Aphasie.Prag Med Wochenschr. 1892; 17: 165-167
- Algemeine Z. Psychiatr-Gerichtl. Med. vol. 64. 1907: 146-148 Uber eine eigenartige Erkrankung der Hirrnrinde.
- Recent development in Alzheimer's disease.Acta Clin Belg. 2001; 56: 269-278
- Subcortical vascular dementia.in: Gauthier S. Cummings J.L. Alzheimer's disease and related disorders annual. Martin Dunitz, London2000: 110-135
- Physical basis of cognitive alterations in Alzheimer's disease: synapse loss is the major correlate of cognitive impairment.Ann Neurol. 1991; 30: 572-580
- Acetylcholinesterase rich projections from the basal forebrain of the rhesus monkey to neocortex.Brain Res. 1976; 109: 152-157
- Nucleus basalis and thalamic control of neocortical activity in the freely moving rat.J Neurosci. 1988; 8: 4007-4026
- Decreased ratio of CSF acetylcholinesterase to butylcholinesterase activity in Alzheimer's disease.Lancet. 1984; ii: 173
- Synapse loss in frontal cortex biopsies in Alzheimer's disease: correlation with disease severity.Ann Neurol. 1990; 27: 457-464
- Neural mechanisms underlying brain waves: from neural membranes to networks.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1991; 79: 81-93
- Quantitative analysis of occipital EEG in different stages of Alzheimer's disease.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1985; 60: 1-6
- Quantitative EEG analysis in early onset Alzheimer disease: correlations with severity, clinical characteristics, visual EEG and CCT.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1994; 90: 267-272
- EEG spectral profile to stage Alzheimer 's disease.Clin Electroencephalogr. 1999; 110: 1831-1837
- EEG in the differential diagnosis between Alzheimer's disease and vascular dementia.Acta Neurol Scand. 1988; 77: 36-43
- Changes in brain functional connectivity in Alzheimer's type and multi-infarct dementia.Brain. 1992; 115: 1543-1561
- White matter lesions.in: Erkinjuntii T. Gauthier S. Vascular cognitive impairment. Martin Dunitz, London2002: 135-145
- Neurotransmitter control of the cerebral vasculature and abnormalities in vascular dementia.in: Erkinjuntii T. Gauthier S. Vascular cognitive impairment. Martin Dunitz, London2002: 167-189
- Does EEG (visual and quantitative) reflect mental impairment in subcortical vascular dementia?.J Neurol Sci. 2007; 257: 11-16
- “Minimental state” a practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician.J Psychiatr Res. 1975; 12: 189-198
- Global Deterioration Scale (GDS).Psychopharmacol Bull. 1988; 24: 661-663
- A new rating scale for Alzheimer's disease.Am J Psych. 1984; 141: 1356-1364
- The diagnostic value of EEG in Alzheimer disease. Correlation with the severity of mental impairment.J Clin Neurophysiol. 2001; 18: 570-575
- Clinical and electroencephalographic observations in Alzheimer's disease.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1958; 21: 167-172
- The EEG in presenile dementia.J Neurol Neurosurg. 1967; 30: 285-291
- Electroencephalography as an aid in the exclusion of Alzheimer's disease.Arch Neurol. 1994; 51: 280-284
- The diagnostic value of electroencephalography in mild senile Alzheimer's disease.Clin Neurophysiol. 1999; 10: 825-832
- The electroencephalogram in advanced senile dementia.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1967; 15: 415-426
- The electroencephalogram in Alzheimer-type dementia. A sequential study correlating the electroencephalogram with psychometric and quantitative pathologic data.Arch Neurol. 1987; 4: 50-54
- Correlation between mini mental state examination and quantitative electroencephalography in senile dementia of the Alzheimer's type.Neuropsychobiology. 1990; 23: 74-78
- The cholinergic system and EEG slow waves.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1991; 78: 89-96
- EEG in diagnostic and follow up of Alzheimer's disease.Acta Neurol Scand. 1992; 139: 36-39
- Cholinesterase inhibitors in the treatment of dementia.in: Gauthier S. Cummings J.L. Alzheimer's disease and related disorders annual. Martin Dunitz, London2000: 199-211
- The fundamental neural mechanisms of electroencephalography.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1998; 106: 101-107
- Neuropathological criteria in Alzheimer's disease.in: Leszek J. Alzheimer's Disease. 1998: 89-97 (Volumed)
- Quantitative electroencephalography power and coherence in Alzheimer's disease and mild cognitive impairment.Dementia. 1996; 7: 314-323
- Physiological basis of the EEG.in: Darly D. Pedley T. Current Practice of Clinical Electroencefalography. New York. 1990: 108-112
Published online: March 09, 2009
☆The permission to carry out the research was obtained from the Bioethics Commitee of the Medical University of Warsaw.
© 2009 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.