Myelopathy is an uncommon complication of VZV infection and may develop in the absence of rash. We report the rare recurrence of myelopathy in an immunocompetent adult who initially developed myelopathy after ophthalmic-distribution zoster. Recurrent myelopathy two years later caused by VZV was verified by the presence of new-onset clinical symptoms and signs consistent with myelopathy, new lesions in the spinal cord detected by MRI, and evidence of intrathecal synthesis of anti-VZV IgG antibody in CSF. After virological verification and antiviral therapy, myelopathy did not recur and anti-VZV IgG antibody could not be detected in CSF. In contrast to earlier cases of recurrent VZV myelopathy in immunocompetent adults that developed weeks to months after the first episode of myelopathy, this is the first instance of recurrence years later.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Varicella-zoster virus myelitis: an expanding spectrum.Neurology. 1994; 44: 1818-1823
- Zoster meyelitis: improvement with antiviral therapy in two cases.Neurology. 1996; 47: 929-931
- VZV spinal cord infarction identified by diffusion-weighted MRI (DWI).Neurology. 2007; 69: 298-400
- Two patients with unusual forms of varicella-zoster virus vasculopathy.N Engl J Med. 2002; 347: 1500-1503
- The varicella zoster vasculopathies: clinical, CSF, imaging, and virologic features.Neurology. 2008; 70: 853-860
- Recurrent herpes zoster myelitis treated with human interferon alpha: a case report.Acta Neurol Sci. 1992; 85: 372-375
- Recurrent herpes zoster myelitis.J Korean Med Sci. 1997; 12: 360-363
- Recurrent varicella-zoster virus myelitis in an immunocompetent patient.Eur Neurol. 2004; 52: 121-122
Accepted: September 16, 2008
Received in revised form: September 12, 2008
Received: August 19, 2008
© 2008 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.