Neurological manifestation is considered a rare complication of dengue infection. Neurological and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) findings of 13 patients with dengue infection were studied. Seven patients had encephalitis, two had myelitis and four showed Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS). No alteration in CSF was found from 57% of those with encephalitis. Patients with GBS and myelitis showed a CSF–blood barrier dysfunction. The differences in the CSF may be related to the location of the lesion and multiple mechanisms of the disease in the nervous system.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Dengue and dengue hemorrhagic fever in the Americas: lessons and challenges.J Clin Virol. 2003; 27: 1-13
- Dengue: neuropathological findings in 5 fatal cases from Brazil.Clin Neuropathol. 1990; 9: 157-162
- Dengue encephalitis: a true entity?.Am Trop Med Hyg. 1996; 54: 256-259
- Neurological manifestation in dengue patients.Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2001; 32: 341-345
- Dengue haemorrhagic fever: diagnosis, treatment, prevention and control.2nd edition. 1997 (Geneva)
- Principles of neurology.7nd ed. Mc Graw Hill, New York2001
- Diagnosis of HAM/TSP based on CSF proviral HTLV-I DNA and HTLV-I antibody index.Neurology. 2001; 57: 725-727
- Cerebrospinal fluid analysis: disease-related data patterns and evaluation programs.J Neurol Sci. 2001; 184: 101-122
- Protein transfer at the blood cerebrospinal fluid barrier and the quantitation of the humoral immune response within the central nervous system.Clin Chim Acta. 1987; 163: 319-328
- Recommended diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: guidelines from the International Panel on the Diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis.Ann Neurol. 2001; 50: 121-127
Ministério da Saúde. Dengue: aspectos epidemiológicos, diagnóstico e tratamento. Rio de Janeiro, 2002;176: 6.
- Neurological manifestations of dengue infection.Lancet. 2000; 355: 1053-1058
- Epidemiology and transmission dynamics of West Nile virus disease.Emerg Infect Dis. 2005; 11: 1167-1173
- The intrathecal humoral immune response: laboratory analysis and clinical relevance.Clin Chem Lab Med. 2001; 39: 333-340
- Dengue infection with central nervous system manifestations. Southeast Asian.J Trop Med Public Health. 1999; 30: 504-506
Accepted: May 26, 2006
Received in revised form: May 25, 2006
Received: May 4, 2005
© 2006 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.