This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Muscle regeneration was induced by transplanting the extensor digitorum longus (EDL) muscle in adult rats to examine the effect of X-irradiation on muscle regeneration. The EDL muscles were removed, irradiated with X-rays to administer 650 R, 2 000 R or 10 000 R, and transplanted into the original animal and location. Muscles from non-irradiated control group and each irradiated group were analyzed morphologically at 4, 7, 14 and 30 days post-transplantation. The regeneration pattern in the non-irradiated and 650-R irradiated muscles was similar. A majority of myofibers underwent degeneration followed by regeneration from the precursor myosatellite cells. The myosatellite cells proliferated, differentiated into myoblasts and then fused to form myotubes and myofibers. Muscles exposed to 2 000 R underwent initial degeneration and myosatellite cell activation, however, considerably fewer myotubes regenerated in these muscles. In muscles exposed to 10 000 R, again myofiber degeneration and myosatellite cell activation was evident, but these cells remained undifferentiated and did not fuse to form myotubes. These results show a dose-dependent inhibition in muscle regeneration due to irradiation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Influence of X-rays on limb regeneration in urodele amphibians.Quart. Rev. Biol. 1950; 25: 1-29
- A review of muscle transplantation in mammals.Physiol. Bohemoslov. 1978; 27: 387-400
- Regeneration in free grafts of normal and denervated muscles in the rat: Morphology and histochemistry.Anat. Rec. 1975; 183: 47-62
- The life history of a free muscle graft.in: Mauro A. Muscle Regeneration. Raven Press, New York1979: 493-507
- Effects of X-irradiation on lens regeneration in adult Triturus viridescens.Anat. Rec. 1972; 172: 45-56
- Cell proliferation in the regenerating liver and the effect of prior continuous irradiation.Radiation Res. 1967; 32: 804-826
- Some effects of radiation on the healing of transected mouse ear.Radiation Res. 1984; 100: 55-64
- Basement membrane component changes in skeletal muscle transplants undergoing regeneration or rejection.J. Cell. Biochem. 1985; 27: 337-346
- Altered pattern of skeletal muscle regeneration after X-irradiation.Soc. Neurosci. Abstr. 1985; 11: 974
- Pattern of skeletal muscle regeneration after reautotransplantation of regenerated muscle.J. Embryol. Exp. Morphol. 1986; 92: 1-10
- Distribution of fibronectin in normal and regenerating skeletal muscle.Anat. Rec. 1982; 204: 175-183
- Changes in the basement membrane zone components during skeletal muscle fiber degeneration and regeneration.J. Cell Biol. 1983; 97: 957-962
- Development and innervation of soleplates in the freely grafted extensor digitorum longus (EDL) muscle in the rat.Anat. Rec. 1983; 207: 55-67
- Cellular response to free grafting of the extensor digitorum longus muscle of the rat.J. Neurol. Sci. 1979; 41: 149-179
- Effects of irradiation on DNA-synthesis in the regenerating livers of rats.Int. J. Radiation Biol. 1966; 10: 601-608
- Regulation and limb regeneration: the effect of partial irradiation.J. Embryol. Exp. Morphol. 1979; 52: 183-192
- How X-rays inhibit amphibian limb regeneration.J. Exp. Zool. 1976; 197: 105-114
- Radiation effects on cell renewal and related systems.Physiol. Rev. 1963; 43: 357-396
- Cellular aspects of the mammalian radiation syndrome: nucleated cell depletion in the bone marrow.in: Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. (USA). 52. 1964: 152-160
- Origin of regenerating myoblasts in mammalian skeletal muscle.in: Mauro A. Muscle Regeneration. Raven Press, New York1979: 91-100
- Repair in mouse lung between multiple small doses of X-rays.Radiation Res. 1983; 94: 326-339
- Effects of X-rays on nerve-dependent (limb) and nerve-independent (jaw) regeneration in the adult newt, Notophthalmus viridescens.J. Embryol. Exp. Morphol. 1979; 53: 315-325
- Early events following amputation of adult newt limbs given regeneration inhibitory doses of X-irradiation.Develop. Biol. 1980; 74: 434-445
- The effect of irradiation on function in self-renewing normal tissues with differing proliferative organization.Brit. J. Radiol. 1982; 55: 759-766
Accepted: September 16, 1986
Received in revised form: September 16, 1986
Received: June 10, 1986
© 1987 Published by Elsevier Inc.