This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Spontaneous discharges recorded on the EMG appeared in experimental mice given repeated doses of IDPN according to a time schedule. Spontaneous discharges showing a polyphasic pattern and duration of over 10 ms were considered to be fasciculations. One group of mice, treated with IDPN for 4 weeks became active with an increase in muscle volume 2 months after initiation of experiment; spontaneous discharges were recorded in this group at 3–4 weeks after first IDPN injection and disappeared at 4 months. Histologically, neurogenic muscle atrophy, in terms of group atrophy of muscles, was seen in muscles of mice exhibiting spontaneous discharge patterns. Peripheral nerves showed marked atrophy with degeneration. Dissociation of neurofilaments and other organelles was observed. Axonal swellings, filled with numerous maloriented neurofilaments, were confirmed in the lumbar cord.
IDPN given repeatedly to mice at a certain dose causes degeneration of the peripheral nerves and results in neurogenic muscle atrophy.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Proximal axonal enlargement in motor neuron disease.Neurology. 1968; 18: 841-851
- Axonal lesions and waltzing syndrome after IDPN administration in rats.Acta Neuropath. (Berl.). 1964; 3: 428-450
- The axonal pathology in chronic IDPN intoxication.J. Neuropath. Exp. Neurol. 1980; 37: 42-55
- Fibrillation and fasciculation in voluntary muscles.Brain. 1938; 61: 311-334
- Electrophysiological investigation of β,β'-iminodipropionitrile neuropathy: Intracellular recordings in spinal cord.Brain Res. 1984; 308: 235-244
- Slow axonal transport of neurofilament proteins: impairment by β,β'-iminodipropionitrile administration.Science. 1978; 202: 633-635
- IDPN neuropathy in the cat: coexistence of proximal and distal axonal swellings.Neuropath. Appl. Neurobiol. 1982; 8: 351-364
- Reorganization of axoplasmic organelles following β,β'-iminodipropionitrile administration.J. Cell Biol. 1981; 91: 866-871
- Fasciculations and their F-response — Localization of their axonal origin.J. Neurol. Sci. 1984; 63: 299-306
- An observation of spontaneous discharges by surface EMG in motor neuron disease — Correlation between ratio of evocation by edrophonium and clinical course.Clin. Neurol. (Tokyo). 1985; 24: 401-407
- Aluminum chloride-induced neurofibrillary changes in the developing rabbit.Ann. Neurol. 1980; 8: 479-490
- Environmental contribution to the amyotrophic lateral sclerosis process.in: Serratrice G. Neuromuscular Disease. Raven Press, New York1984: 335-339
Accepted: September 15, 1986
Received in revised form: September 15, 1986
Received: July 16, 1986
© 1987 Published by Elsevier Inc.