This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A family with dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase (DPD) deficiency is presented. In 3 persons a complete deficiency, and in 3 others a partial deficiency was detected in cultured fibroblasts. Two homozygote subjects and 1 heterozygote subject suffered from epileptic manifestations, in one of these homozygote subjects also microcephaly was found. DPD deficiency might be an etiological factor in the clinical picture of these patients. An autosomal recessive mode of inheritance of this deficiency was found.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Organic aciduria in hypoxic premature newborns simulating an inborn error of metabolism.Europ. J. Pediat. 1977; 127: 41-47
- Elevated urine, blood and cerebrospinal fluid levels of uracil and thymine in a child with dihydrothymine dehydrogenase deficiency.Clin. Chim. Acta. 1984; 140: 247-256
- Dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase deficiency leading to thymine-uraciluria.Clin. Chim. Acta. 1984; 141: 227-234
- Influence of intermittent hypoxia and pyrimidinic nucleosides on cerebral enzymatic activities related to energy transduction.Neurochem. Res. 1984; 9: 1085-1099
- High-performance liquid chromatographic determination of purine and pyrimidine bases, ribonucleosides, deoxyribonucleosides and cyclic ribonucleotides in biological fluids.J. Chromatogr. 1982; 229: 67-75
- Experimental focal epilepsy in animals.Arch. Neurol. (Chic.). 1959; 1: 140-147
- Anticonvulsant effects of uridine: comparative analysis of metrazol and penicillin induced foci.Brain Res. 1973; 55: 291-308
- Familial pyrimidinemia and pyrimidinuria associated with severe fluorouracil toxicity.N. Engl. J. Med. 1985; 313: 245-249
- Dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase deficiency — A further case.J. Inher. Metab. Dis. 1985; 8: 115-116
- Neurotoxicity of the pyrimidine synthesis inhibitor N-phosphonoacetyl-l-aspartate.Ann. Neurol. 1982; 12: 175-183
Accepted: September 12, 1986
Received in revised form: September 12, 1986
Received: August 11, 1986
© 1987 Published by Elsevier Inc.