This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A randomised controlled trial of endarterectomy in patients with carotid artery disease showed that operation significantly reduced the frequency of transient ischaemic attacks (TIA) in the relevant vascular territory. Because of the high post-operative morbidity in the surgical group, the trial was abandoned before conclusions could be drawn as to the influence of endarterectomy on long-term survival or on the incidence of subsequent strokes.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A controlled study of surgical treatment in cerebrovascular disease — 42 months experience with 183 cases.in: Millikan C.H. Siekert R.G. Whisnant J.P. Cerebral Vascular Diseases. Grune and Stratton, New York1966: 254-262
- Transient ischaemic attacks — Natural history and anticoagulation.Neurology (Minneap.). 1977; 27: 701-707
- Improved results with carotid endarterectomy.Ann. Surg. 1978; 186: 334-340
- Successful carotid endarterectomy for cerebrovascular insufficiency.J. Amer. Med. Ass. 1975; 233: 1083-1085
- Stroke and mortality in carotid endarterectomy — 288 consecutive operations.Stroke. 1977; 8: 565-568
- Joint study of extracranial vascular occlusion, Part 5 (Prognosis following surgical or non surgical treatment for transient cerebral ischaemic attacks and cervical carotid artery lesions).J. Amer. Med. Ass. 1970; 211: 1993-2003
- Carotid endarterectomy — Complications and pre-operative assessment of risk.in: Proc. Mayo Clin.50. 1975: 301-306
- Carotid endarterectomy.Ann. Surg. 1976; 184: 1-15
- Transient ischaemic attacks — A prospective study of 225 patients.Neurology (Minneap.). 1978; 28: 746-753
- Design and protocol of the UK-TIA Aspirin Study.in: Tognoni G. Garattini S. Proceedings of the International Seminar on Drug Treatment and Prevention in Cerebrovascular Disorders. Elsevier, Amsterdam1979: 387-394
- Variations in the use of angiography and carotid endarterectomy by neurologists in the UK-TIA aspirin trial.Brit. Med. J. 1983; 286: 514-517
© 1984 Published by Elsevier Inc.