This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
As a test of the generalised defect theory for Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD), basal and calcium-dependent platelet protein phosphorylation was examined in order to determine if the increased concentration of calcium in DMD skeletal muscle is reflected in DMD platelets.
Protein phosphorylation was quantitated by gradient slab gel electrophoresis and autoradiography. The number of phosphoproteins in each phosphoprotein peak was determined by comparison with two-dimensional gel electrophoresis. Many phosphoprotein peaks were present in unstimulated platelet preparations both in whole platelet homogenates and in intact platelets. Two of these phosphoprotein peaks were calciumdependent, one was a single phosphoprotein, the other consisted of 4 phosphoproteins. No disease-related differences were observed in either basal or calcium-stimulated phosphoproteins.
These results do not support previous reports of platelet abnormalities in DMD, and provide further evidence that the biochemical defect in Duchenne muscular dystrophy is neither generalised nor a membrane defect. The biochemical defect in DMD should be regarded as a skeletal muscle abnormality until proved otherwise.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Phosphorylation of platelet myosin increases actin-activated myosin ATPase activity.Nature (Lond.). 1975; 256: 597-598
- Abnormality of platelet dense bodies in Duchenne dystrophy.Neurology. 1979; 29: 567
- Two-dimensional gel electrophoresis of membrane proteins.Biochemistry. 1976; 15: 616-623
- Analytical techniques for cell fractions.Anal. Biochem. 1978; 85: 331-354
- Phosphorylation of the 18,000 dalton light chain of myosin during a single tetanus of frog muscle.J. Biol. Chem. 1977; 252: 4752-4754
- Intracellular calcium accumulation in Duchenne dystrophy and other myopathies — A study of 567,000 muscle fibres in 114 biopsies.Neurology. 1978; 28: 439-446
- Cell membrane abnormalities and muscular dystrophy.Muscle and Nerve. 1980; 3 (Editorial): 1-2
- Skeletal-muscle sarcolemma from normal and dystrophic mice.Biochem. J. 1977; 168: 229-237
- Recherches sur la paralysie musculaire pseudo-hypertrophique ou paralysie myosclérosique.Arch. Gén. Méd. 1868; 2: 5
- Recherches sur la paralysie musculaire pseudo-hypertrophique ou paralysie myosclérosique.Arch. Gén. Méd. 1868; 2: 179
- Recherches sur la paralysie musculaire pseudo-hypertrophique ou paralysie myosclérosique.Arch. Gén. Méd. 1868; 2: 305
- Recherches sur la paralysie musculaire pseudo-hypertrophique ou paralysie myosclérosique.Arch. Gén. Méd. 1868; 2: 421
- Recherches sur la paralysie musculaire pseudo-hypertrophique ou paralysie myosclérosique.Arch. Gén. Méd. 1868; 2: 552
- Relationship between phosphorylation of blood platelet proteins and secretion of platelet granule constituents, Part 2 (Effects of different inhibitors).Thromb. Res. 1978; 12: 619-628
- Effects of collagen, ionophore A23187 and prostaglandin E on the phosphorylation of specific proteins in blood platelets.Biochem. J. 1979; 178: 397-406
- Erythrozytenlipide bei progressiver Muskeldystrophie.Clin. Chim. Acta. 1973; 43: 333-341
- Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4.Nature (Lond.). 1970; 227: 680-685
- Is there a membrane defect in muscle and other cells.Brit. Med. Bull. 1980; 36: 187-192
- Thrombin-induced protein phosphorylation in human platelets.J. Clin. Invest. 1975; 56: 924-936
- Erythrocyte deformation in human muscular dystrophy.Science. 1974; 184: 165-166
- On granular and fatty degeneration of the voluntary muscles.Med.-chir. Trans. (Lond.). 1852; 35: 73
- Evidence against a generalised membrane defect in dystrophic mice platelets.Muscle and Nerve. 1982; 5: 387-395
- Gastrointestinal manifestations of the muscular dystrophies.Gastroenterology. 1982; 82: 800-810
- High resolution two-dimensional electrophoresis of proteins.J. Biol. Chem. 1975; 250: 4007-4021
- The activity of membrane bound enzymes in muscular dystrophic chicks.Nature (Lond.). 1974; 252: 589-591
- Membrane protein kinase alteration in Duchenne muscular dystrophy.Nature (Lond.). 1975; 254: 350-351
- Increased phosphorylated components of erythrocyte membrane spectrin band II with reference to Duchenne dystrophy.J. Neurol. Sci. 1976; 30: 167-178
- Biochemistry of muscle membranes in Duchenne muscular dystrophy.Muscle and Nerve. 1980; 3: 3-20
- L'élévation du taux de l'aldolase sérique — Test biochimique de myopathies.Sem. Hôp. Paris. 1953; 29: 1917-1921
- Effect of thrombin on phosphorylation of platelet membrane proteins.Thrombos. Haemos. 1976; 35: 635-642
- Biochemical studies in dystrophic mouse muscle.Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 1979; 317: 187-205
- Phosphorylation of contractile proteins in heart and skeletal muscle.in: Fed. Proc.39. 1980: 1552-1556
- Red cell response to A23187 and valinomycine in Duchenne muscular dystrophy.Acta Biol. Med. Germ. 1981; 40: 1187-1190
- Muscular dystrophy — Some recent advances in knowledge.Brit. Med. J. 1964; 1: 1344-1348
- Microanalysis and X-ray fluorescence spectrometry of platelets in diseases with elevated muscle calcium.Europ. J. Clin. Invest. 1980; 10: 143-147
☆This work was supported by grants from the National Health and Medical Research Council of Australia.
© 1984 Published by Elsevier Inc.