This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Microinjection of peripheral nerves has proved especially useful in experimental studies in demyelination and neurotoxicology. A technique is described here for inducing a pure circumscribed demyelinating lesion in a peripheral nerve. Lysophosphatidyl choline (2 μl of 1%) is injected through a glass micropipette (3–10 μm tip) with the aid of a micromanipulator.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Researches on tetanus, Part 2 (The toxin of the Bacillus tetani is not transported to the central nervous system by any component of the peripheral nerve trunks).Bull. Johns Hopk. Hosp. 1935; 56: 84-114
- Ultrastructural changes in the region of the node of Ranvier in the rat caused by diphtheria toxin.Brain. 1969; 92: 459-468
- Uber die physiologischen Wirkungen des essigsäuren Veratrins.Untersuch. a. d. Physiol. Lab. Würzburg. 1867; 1: 75-156
- The fate of an intraneural injection as demonstrated by the use of radio-active phosphorus.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiat. 1949; 12: 86-99
- The incorporation of microinjected 14C-amino acids into TCA insoluble fractions of the giant axon of the squid.J. cell. Physiol. 1967; 70: 69-74
- Schmidt-Lantermann incisures, Part 1 (A quantitative teased fibre study of remyelinating peripheral nerve fibres).Acta neuropath. (Berl.). 1980; 52: 85-95
- Schmidt-Lantermann incisures, Part 2 (A light and electron microscope study of remyelinating peripheral nerve fibres).Acta neuropath. (Berl.). 1980; 52: 97-104
- Demyelination — A morphological and electrophysiological correlation.J. Anat. (Lond.). 1982; (In press)
- Incorporation of newly formed lecithin into peripheral nerve myelin.J. Cell Biol. 1976; 68: 480-496
- The in vivo and ultrastructural effects of injection of lysophosphatidyl choline into myelinated peripheral nerve fibres of the adult mouse.J. Cell Sci. 1971; 9: 769-789
- The distribution of electron-dense tracers in peripheral nerve fibres.J. Cell Sci. 1971; 8: 541-555
- Intraneural injection of diphtheria toxin.Brit. J. exp. Path. 1966; 47: 507-517
- Acute effects of triethyl tin on the rat myelin sheath.Neuropath. appl. Neurobiol. 1977; 3: 169-181
- Increased endoneurial fluid pressure in experimental lead neuropathy.Nature (Lond.). 1977; 269: 427-428
- Measurement of endoneurial fluid pressure with polyethylene matrix capsules.Brain Res. 1977; 122: 373-377
- Buckthorn neuropathy — Effects of intraneural injection of Karwinskia humboldtiana toxins.Neuropath. appl. Neurobiol. 1978; 4: 85-97
- Endoneurial fluid pressure — Direct measurements with micropipettes.Brain Res. 1978; 148: 510-515
- Endoneurial pressure in hexachlorophene neuropathy.Acta neuropath. (Berl.). 1978; 41: 139-144
- The perineurial window — A new model of focal demyelination and remyelination.Brain Res. 1975; 96: 323-329
- Micro-injection of trypsin into axons of squid.Nature (Lond.). 1963; 199: 78-79
- Transfer of demyelination by intraneural injection of experimental allergic neuritis serum.Nature (Lond.). 1978; 272: 639-641
- Peripheral nerve demyelination induced by intraneural injection of experimental allergic encephalomyelitis serum.J. Neuropath. exp. Neurol. 1979; 38: 498-518
- Intracellular perfusion of Chilean giant squid axon.Science. 1964; 145: 1313-1315
Accepted: November 19, 1981
Received: November 9, 1981
© 1982 Published by Elsevier Inc.