This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
In 40 owl monkeys with hemolytic anemia of unknown etiology, 37 had a myopathy characterized by focal or diffuse necrosis of sarcoplasm which was eosinophilic and floccular. Phagocytosis of necrotic fibers and regenerative changes were also observed. The severity of lesions roughly paralleled the severity of anemia and of centrilobular hepatic necrosis assumed to be caused by hypoxia. That the myopathy was not caused by anemia per se was suggested by the finding of mild myopathy in 10 of 24 monkeys known never to have been severely anemic. Although anemic owl monkeys are known not to be deficient in either vitamin E or selenium, parenteral vitamin E is partially protective against hemolysis in this species. The myopathy, which resembled that caused by vitamin E or selenium deficiency in other species, is probably the result of a metabolic abnormality involving vitamin E in an unknown way.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Diseases of Muscle — A Study in Pathology.in: 2nd edition. Paul Hoeber, New York1962
- Vitamin E deficiency in Old and New World monkeys.Amer. J. clin. Nutr. 1974; 27: 1141-1151
- Morphology and morphogenesis of cerebral ring hemorrhages in anemic monkeys.Acta neuropath. (Berl.). 1980; (In press)
- Nephritis and hemolytic anemia in owl monkeys (Aotus trivirgatus).Vet. Path. 1980; (In press)
- Diseases of skeletal muscle.in: Innes J.R.M. Saunders L.Z. Comparative Neuropathology. Academic Press, New York1962: 147-243
- Pathology of Muscle.in: W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia1974
- Glomerulonephritis in the owl monkey (Aotus trivirgatus).Lab. Anim. Sci. 1976; 26: 1088-1092
- Morphology of a disease with features of malignant lymphoma in marmosets and owl monkeys inoculated with Herpesvirus saimiri.J. nat. Canc. Inst. 1970; 44: 447-465
- Therapeutic efficacy of vitamin E and selenium in hemolytic anemia of owl monkeys.Lab. Anim. Sci. 1980; 30: 92-98
Accepted: March 26, 1980
Received in revised form: March 5, 1980
Received: December 30, 1979
© 1980 Published by Elsevier Inc.