This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
In the Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS), increased concentrations of the immunoglobulins A and M, and less frequently of immunoglobulin G, expressed as a percentage of the total protein concentration were found in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). The serum concentrations of these 3 immunoglobulins were normal. One or two discrete bands, probably consisting of oligoclonal immunoglobulins, were demonstrated in the γ region of serum and CSF in 8 of the 12 GBS patients investigated. The discrete serum and CSF γ bands have identical electrophoretic mobilities and are probably transient. High relative concentrations of the 3 immunoglobulins in CSF were especially found in specimens obtained early in the course of GBS; they varied independently of the relative albumin concentrations in CSF. These results indirectly point to a synthesis of the immunoglobulins G, A, and M within the central nervous system in GBS. The demonstration of quantitative immunoglobulin abnormalities and of discrete γ bands on electrophoresis is suggested as having diagnostic implications and also indirectly pointing to the involvement of humoral antibodies in GBS.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Immunopathological mechanisms of allergic neuritis in animals, primates, and man.Trans. Amer. neurol. Ass. 1969; 94: 219-222
- Lymphocyte sensitization to nervous tissues and muscle in patients with Guillain-Barré syndrome.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiat. 1971; 34: 179-181
- Circulating demyelinating factors in acute idiopathic polyneuropathy.Arch. Neurol. (Chic.). 1971; 24: 136-144
- Myelinotoxic antibody in Guillain-Barré syndrome.Neurology (Minneap.). 1969; 19: 284
- Lymphocyte transformation in the Guillain-Barré syndrome.Brain. 1971; 94: 109-116
- The action of Guillain-Barré syndrome serum on myelin. A tissue culture and electron microscopic analysis.J. neurol. Sci. 1971; 13: 67-83
- Untersuchungen mit J131-markiertem γ-Globulin zur Frage der Abstammung der Liquoreiweisskörper.Klin. Wschr. 1958; 36: 857-863
- Electrophoretic morphology of gamma globulins in cerebrospinal fluid of multiple sclerosis and other diseases of the nervous system.Neurology (Minneap.). 1970; 20: 982-990
- Immunoglobulin G and low molecular weight proteins in human cerebrospinal fluid.Acta neurol. scand. 1967; 43: 1-136
- Complement factors in multiple sclerosis.Acta neurol. scand. 1972; (In press)
- Immunoglobulins in multiple sclerosis and infections of the nervous system.Arch. Neurol. (Chic.). 1971; 25: 326-344
- Immunoglobulins and measles antibodies in subacute sclerosing panencephalitis. Demonstration of synthesis of oligoclonal immunoglobulin G with measles antibody activity within the CNS.Arch. neurol. (Chic.). 1972; (In press)
- Multiple sclerosis: disturbed kappa: lambda chain ratio of immunoglobulin G in cerebrospinal fluid.Clin. exp. Immunol. 1970; 6: 435-438
- Individual cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) proteins in the evaluation of increased CSF total protein.Z. Neurol. 1972; (In press)
- Colorimetric determination of total protein and globulin in cerebrospinal fluid.Nord. Med. 1956; 55: 693-695
- Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent.J. biol. Chem. 1951; 193: 265-275
- The occurrence of IgM and complement factors along myelin sheaths of peripheral nerves. An immunohistochemical study of the Guillain-Barré syndrome, Preliminary communication.J. neurol. Sci. 1972; 15: 219-224
- A single-radial diffusion method for the immunological quantitation of proteins.in: Peeters H. XI Colloquium on Protides of the Biological Fluids. Elsevier, Amsterdam1964: 370-373
- Diagnostic criteria for the Guillain-Barré syndrome.J. Neurol. Sci. 1971; 13: 483-501
- The immunoglobulin content of normal serum.Acta med. scand. 1967; 181: 485-496
- The Guillain-Barré syndrome and multiple sclerosis, In vitro cellular response to nervous-tissue antigens.New Engl. J. Med. 1971; 284: 803-808
- CSF immunoglobulins in multiple sclerosis and other neurological diseases: measurement by electroimmunodiffusion.Arch. Neurol. (Chic.). 1969; 20: 132-139
- Molecular Biology of Human Proteins. Vol. I. Elsevier, Amsterdam1966
- Electrophoretic patterns of cerebrospinal fluid and serum compared in normal and pathological conditions.Acta Soc. Med. upsalien. 1952; 57: 138-146
- Cerebrospinal fluid paraproteins in multiple myeloma.J. Lab. clin. Med. 1965; 66: 280-293
- An improved technique of agar gel electrophoresis on microscopic slides.Clin. chim. Acta. 1959; 4: 317-321
- Electrophoretic distribution of kappa and lambda immunoglobulin light chain determinants in serum and cerebrospinal fluid in multiple sclerosis.Clin. exp. Immunol. 1970; 7: 365-372
Received: June 26, 1972
☆This study was supported by the Swedish Medical Research Council (Project No. B-72-16X-3381-02B).
© 1973 Published by Elsevier Inc.