This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
It is generally accepted that an arteriovenous anomaly can increase in size. Reports about a spontaneous reduction in size of such malformations are, however, rare. The case is reported of a patient, suffering from an arteriovenous malformation, which was partly removed. During 8 postoperative years, serial follow-up angiograms revealed alterations in the configuration of the pathological vessels, a shift in position of the malformation accompanied by angulation of afferent and efferent vessels, a change in vascular calibre and final disappearance of the abnormal vessels. It was assumed that repeated small haemorrhages, thrombosis and local tissue reactions ultimately caused the disappearance of the malformation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Pathological growth processes of intracerebral vessels.Psychiat. Neurol. Neurochir. (Amst.). 1962; 65: 92
- Angiographic studies of the cerebral vessels in arteriovenous aneurysms.Acta Radiol. (Stockh.). 1949; 31: 233
- Angiome thrombose radiologiquement exclu.Bull. Mém. Soc. Méd. Hôp. Paris. 1961; 77: 923
- L'injection des anévrysmes artério-veineux sus-tentoriels.Presse méd. 1962; 70: 1491
- Intracranial arteriovenous aneurysms.Arch. Neurol. Psychiat. (Chic.). 1968; 80: 39
- Das Hirnaneurysma.in: Documenta Geigy, Basel1958 (Series Chirurgica)
- Een geval van spontane thrombose van een arterioveneus aneurysma in de hersenen.Ned. T. Geneesk. 1955; 99: 944
- Arteriovenous aneurysms of the brain.J. Neurosurg. 1949; 6: 475
- Arteriovenous aneurysms of the brain.Arch. Neurol. Psychiat. (Chic.). 1948; 59: 567
- A clinical survey of intracranial angiomas with special reference to their mode of progression and surgical treatment: a report of 110 cases.Brain. 1956; 79: 233
- Les thromboses spontanées des anévrysmes artério-veineux cérébreux.Neuro-chirurgie. 1961; 7: 155
- Intracranial Aneurysms and Subarachnoid Hemorrhage.in: A Cooperative Study. Lippincott, Philadelphia and Toronto1969
- Physiological studies of arteriovenous anomalies of the brain.J. Neurosurg. 1948; 5: 165
- Regression in size of arteriovenous anomaly.J. Neurosurg. 1960; 17: 493
- De Arterioveneuze Misvorming van de Hersenen.in: Thesis. 1969 (Amsterdam)
- Zur Frage des Wachstums arteriovenöser Angiome.Zbl. Neurochir. 1965; 15: 145
Received: November 29, 1969
© 1970 Published by Elsevier Inc.